The best way to explain how hypothesis works is to compare these three parts of any hypothesis.
- The most general description of the event.
- It might be considered just an attempt to explain.
- Or informally.
- Example: The planets orbit the sun because of gravity.
- Theory is formulated out of basic explanation and usually larger with bigger level of abstraction.
- Theory touches underlying nature of particular phenomenon.
- Example: All matter is attracted towards other matter by gravitational force, in proportion to the quantity of matter involved.
- Hypotheses. ^7e56d2
- Is testable and precise formulation of a theory.
- Any hypothesis is designed to allow an investigation of the presented fact in the controlled environment and as rigorously as possible.
- The purpose is to explain natural phenomenon in widely accepted way, that community will support.
- Good theory helps make prediction and understand current results for future inquiries.
- Example: It will be possible to explain unexpected perturbations in the orbit of one of the planets in the solar system using Newton’s theory of gravitation.
Idea originally is from Critical Thinking | Tom Chatfield look for this marker ^7e56d2